[mapserver-users] Dynamic variable substitution - validation

Kalbermatten Michaël Michael.Kalbermatten at ne.ch
Tue Dec 10 02:31:44 PST 2013

Dear list,

I just tested a nightly build from http://www.gisinternals.com/sdk, I took the dev release of yesterday (which would be MapServer version 6.5dev). I am using a Windows Server (2008 , 64-bits).

I am using dynamic variable substitution in my mapfile and I used to put the validation pattern and the default value into the METADATA section of my layer. Something like:

LAYER
    METADATA
        "default_myvariable" "fake"
        "myvariable_validation_pattern" "^[a-zA-Z\-]+$"
    END
END

This used to work (with MapServer 6.0.3 / gisinternals, stable release).

But using the dev version, the pattern isn't validated anymore.

I was able to make it work again by defining a VALIDATION section in my LAYER definition:

LAYER
    VALIDATION
        "default_ myvariable" "-1"
        "myvariable" "^[a-zA-Z\-]+$"
    END
END

Thus my question, is there a plan to deprecate the variable substitution stuff from the METADATA section or is this a kind of bug ?

Thanks in advance for your answer

Best regards

Michael