[mapserver-users] Automatic simplification based on resolution

thomas bonfort thomas.bonfort at gmail.com
Tue Dec 31 09:46:04 PST 2013

Jukka,
IIRC this has already surfaced a few times on the mailing list or the
bugtracker. MapServer already simplifies geometries at the pixel level
before sending them to the renderers, and from my testing at the time
was more efficient at doing so than using st_simplify(), with the
added bonus that the cellsize (resolution, units per pixel) does not
need to be factored in the actual SQL query, and that the
simplification applies to all data backends.
Doing the simplification inside postgis does however make sense if the
data transfer from db to mapserver is a bottleneck, and/or potentially
if reprojection is involved (as less points would need to be fed into
proj). If you can come up with hard numbers to show there is a gain
I'd be interested.

regards,
thomas