[mapserver-users] Mapserver with postgis connection behind ELB - timeout problem

Oliver Christen oliver.christen at camptocamp.com
Fri Feb 1 00:18:17 PST 2013

dear list

Im using Mapserver with postgis layers,
the postgres server is behind an AWS ELB (amazon load balancer) which
timout connections after 60 seconds or so.
If I configure my layers with "PROCESSING "CLOSE_CONNECTION=DEFER"" to
increase performances, I often get the following error in Mapserver
after a period of inactivity which seems to correspond to the timeout
duration of the ELB:

msPostGISRetrieveVersion(): Query error. Error executing SQL: SELECT
postgis_version()

when this error occur, I effectively see nothing in Postrgres logs,
meaning there are no new connection attempt.

Now if I remove the CLOSE_CONNECTION=DEFER I dont have any problem anymore.

Is there a way to configure the timeout duration in Mapserver for
postgis connection so I could set it to be the same as the ELB one?
Also, what is the internal Mapserver default timeout duration ?

thank you for you attention.
best regards
Oliver

--