[mapserver-users] Combined spatial and attribute query

Mr. Puneet Kishor punk.kish at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 08:07:10 PST 2013

On Feb 8, 2013, at 8:01 AM, "Bistrais, Bob" <Bob.Bistrais at maine.gov> wrote:

> Does anyone have advice on the best or most efficient way to query data, involving both a spatial and an attribute query.  I need to query several layers, selecting based on an area, then select from that selection based on an attribute value.  It would be OK to query by the attribute first, then spatial.

This is a very generic, broad question that would have very specific case-by-case answers. It all depends on your query and, more importantly, your indexes.

Why don't you just time both strategies and then figure out which one you could tune further. Depending on the attributes, you could possibly have more latitude playing around with the various indexes instead of just the spatial index.

--
Puneet Kishor