[mapserver-users] line issue in mapserver 6

Murat Beyhan muratbeyhan28 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 06:49:51 PST 2013

Dear All,

I have installed mapserver 6.0.1 on ubuntu 12.10 and I tried to draw map
which is including some line and polygon layers.
By the way I have been using mapserver 5.4.2 for a long time.

Same map file which is working to draw map using mapserver 5.4.2 working
well under mandriva 2010.
When I try to draw it on new Mapserver the line looking like a point on the
map even if its shapefile is line data.
BUt for old mapsever it seems line without any problem.

When I try to find reason I understood style and symbol has minor change.

Then I would like to solve my problem making some test.

Then I have found a solution but it is little bit strange.
like this

for old version of mapserver layers as follows in the map and it seems like
a point on the map when I zoomed much.

LAYER
NAME Faults
TYPE line
DATA faults_line
STATUS on
   CLASS
   SYMBOL "cline"
   SIZE 1
   COLOR 200 10 0
   END
END

and symbol cline as follows

SYMBOL
  NAME "cline"
  TYPE line
  POINTS 0 0  END
  FILLED TRUE
 END
these are workng for the mapserver 5.4.2 well.

But for Mapserver 6.0 it look like a points instead of line on the map.
Then I have used style and I modified map file as follows

 LAYER
TYPE line
STATUS on
 CLASS
  STYLE
  WIDTH 2.0
   COLOR 200 10 20
  END
END

LAYER
  NAME Faults
  DATA fault_lines
  STATUS on
 END

it works well but for all line layer I should use layer for style for any
layer which are including line data.

I mean if I try to draw another layer after the fault_lines layer I have to
add layer for style before the layer.

So if I use layer for style for all line layer it gives confusion on the
map file.
Do you have any suggestion What I'm missing.

Regards.
Murat

/usr/lib/cgi-bin/mapserv -v
MapServer version 6.0.1 OUTPUT=GIF OUTPUT=PNG OUTPUT=JPEG SUPPORTS=PROJ
SUPPORTS=AGG SUPPORTS=CAIRO SUPPORTS=FREETYPE SUPPORTS=ICONV
SUPPORTS=FRIBIDI SUPPORTS=WMS_SERVER SUPPORTS=WMS_CLIENT
SUPPORTS=WFS_SERVER SUPPORTS=WFS_CLIENT SUPPORTS=WCS_SERVER
SUPPORTS=SOS_SERVER SUPPORTS=FASTCGI SUPPORTS=THREADS SUPPORTS=GEOS
INPUT=POSTGIS INPUT=OGR INPUT=GDAL INPUT=SHAPEFILE