[mapserver-users] Control order of drawing for a layer

Jesper Kempe jesper.kempe at gmail.com
Mon Jun 3 23:43:16 PDT 2013

Hi

I have a shapefile with quite many points in. Several of the points are
very close or even on the same locations. Every point has some attributes
and some of the points are more important than others (based on a
attributes value).
What I am trying to do, and not succeding in, is to have points with
attribute x=Y drawn ontop of everything else.

Now I have a layer definition with the classes I want to have "in the
bottom of the image" first and the most important last. Each with an
expression matching a certain attribute. But it looks like the only order
that matters is the order in which the points in the shapefile are listed.

>From the mapfile:

                TILEITEM "location"
                TILEINDEX "shapefile.idx.shp"

                SIZEUNITS meters

                CLASSITEM "GEOM_TYPE"

                CLASS
                    NAME "clouds"
                    EXPRESSION "clou"
                    COLOR 186 186 186
                    SYMBOL "mapinfo-sym-32"
                    SIZE 1200
                END

                CLASS
                    NAME "no_d"
                    EXPRESSION "no_d"
                    COLOR 0 0 0
                    SYMBOL "mapinfo-sym-32"
                    SIZE 1200
                END

                CLASS
                    NAME "subs"
                    EXPRESSION "subs"
                    COLOR 255 255 0
                    SYMBOL "mapinfo-sym-32"
                    SIZE 1200
                END

                CLASS
                    NAME "surfs"
                    EXPRESSION "surf"
                    COLOR 246 112 38
                    SYMBOL "mapinfo-sym-32"
                    SIZE 1200
                END

Anyone has a tip on how I can get the desired effect?

//Jesper