[mapserver-users] Best way to import 4.5TB of imagery?

James_in_Utah James.Evans at hill.af.mil
Fri Jun 7 07:31:35 PDT 2013

Hi,
We just got 3 hard drive, loaded with 4.5TB of NAIP imagery for all of
CONUS.  I think there's a total of about 400,000 jpgs.  The data is in
directories, by states.  Under each state, there are subfolders, probably
reference by longitude.  Other than going through folder by folder, adding
each image to a shape file using gdaltindex, what's the best strategy for
imagery available via our mapserver?  Should I maintain the current
directory structure when I copy the imagery to the server, or just dump all
of it into a single directory?  Do I want to stay with 1 shape file, or
break it up by state?  We eventually want a contiguous layer for all of
CONUS to be served up to our users.
Thanks,
James