[mapserver-users] Creating lower aeriel image cache from the best resolution tiles

Rahkonen Jukka jukka.rahkonen at mmmtike.fi
Sun Jun 9 14:53:58 PDT 2013

Hi,

I took some numbers from the real system. We use a custom tile schema with 15 resolution levels
between 0.5 and 8192 meters. Six of the resolutions levels 0.5-16 m) come from the same original aerial images so it would be possible to build lower resolution level from previously generated tiles. Nothing special here, basically it is the same process than I have done for all the originals by running "gdalddo 2 4 8 16 32"  so I believe that the image quality would be comparable.

There are roughly 24 million tiles on the disk for the 0.5 m resolution and with 5 by 5 sized metatiles it has
taken nearly 1 million WMS requests to seed the cache. There is no alternative for seeding this resolution level, it just has to be seeded from WMS and we want to have a completely seeded cache. The interesting question concerns seeding the 1 m resolution level. In our existing situaltion we have sent about 250000 WMS requests and split the metatiles into 8 million final tiles. It would be nice to know how long it would take to build the tiles by doing 8 million times "take four tiles, combine and resample". Because there are only 86400 seconds in a day even small differences count. Even if combining tiles would be somewhat slower it might be a good alternative because the WMS server would take 250000 requests less and it is a production server which has other things to do as well.

In our case the source data of WMS suits very well for seeding because the native resolution is the same than the final one and images have overviews which also fit perfectly, and the native imagery and cache are using the same projection. Obviously systems where WMS server must to reprojecting and adjust pixel size would get more advantage from aggregating higher resolution tiles.

-Jukka Rahkonen-