[mapserver-users] Best way to import 4.5TB of imagery?

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Mon Jun 10 11:33:46 PDT 2013

On 6/10/2013 12:57 PM, Evans, James R Civ USAF ACC 84 RADES/SCZE wrote:
> Hi Stephen,
> Thanks, for the reply.  I previously got 4 sample images from the USDA, and
> was able to get them to work just fine.  There was no processing required.
> The sample images I got were all from Utah, and they are NAD83, UTM zone 12.
> I added the 4 sample images to a shape file using gdaltindex.   I used UPSG
> 26912 and mapserver served them up very quickly for such large files.
>
> Now I have this entire data set, and it stretches from UTM zone 10, to UTM
> zone 19.  The data is divided into directories by two letter state
> abbreviations, and under that into subdirectories.  I'm just wondering how
> to add this to my mapfile.  Do I need a different entry for each UTM Zone?
> How is it possible to get a single layer entry that includes multiple
> projections?  This is looking like a huge job and I just want to know the
> best strategy for getting this done.

So now you have a problem. You data is in UTM spread over 10 different
projections. What do you plane to do when have your image is zone 10 and
half is in zone 11 or if you zoom out and you images has 3-4 zones
displayed?

All data in an image must be rendered in the same projection. While I
don't doubt that your test with 4 images worked fine, did you you test
this a multiple zoom levels and at some point you will probably want to
create a super overlay image so you do not have to open multiple files
to just pull a tiny overlay out of each one.

Your use cases will determine how you want to deal with the data. For
example does it HAVE to be in a UTM projection, or can you work with a
Spherical Mercator or geographic projection? The end solution will be
much easier if you can work with one common projection over your whole
data set. Otherwise, you will have to deal with the transitions from one
zone to the next or maybe set up 10 separate servers that only serve one
zone.

Having pushed larges amounts (4-25TB) of imagery data more than once it
is important to make these decisions up front and and prototype up
something like a 4-10 degree square across a UTM boundary and make sure
that the results are going to be what you expect before you process all
the data.

-Steve