[mapserver-users] mapcache kml--how to use?

Schweitzer, Peter pschweitzer at usgs.gov
Tue Sep 10 13:18:27 PDT 2013

I have a mapcache that is doing a fine job (I think) serving tiles to
OpenLayers.  Now I wonder if it is possible to use these tiles in
Google Earth.  Can someone advise me how to do this?

Here's what I tried:  Opening Google Earth, I chose "Network Link"
from the "Add" menu, entered a simple title ("SGMC") and guessed at
the URL to put into the Link field. I tried
http://mrdata.usgs.gov/mapcache/kml/sgmc@WGS84 as well as
http://mrdata.usgs.gov/mapcache/kml/sgmc@g and
http://mrdata.usgs.gov/mapcache/kml/sgmc@GoogleMapsCompatible
In each case Google Earth seemed to "freeze" but it also seemed to
generate many requests for tiles from the server (I see the requests
in the web server log file).  No image data appeared in Google Earth,
though.  So I'm guessing that I may be somewhat close but I'm doing
something wrong or perhaps I'm trying the wrong thing altogether.

I am grateful for any advice!

Peter
--
Peter N. Schweitzer (U.S. Geological Survey, Reston, VA 20192)
(703) 648-6533  email: pschweitzer at usgs.gov
http://geology.usgs.gov/peter/