[mapserver-users] WMS server error. Invalid layer(s) given in the LAYERS parameter

Rahkonen Jukka jukka.rahkonen at mmmtike.fi
Mon Sep 23 07:24:57 PDT 2013

Hi,

Your latest mail shows that you do not know yet how a complete and valid GetMap request looks like. Later in this mail you will see an example.

Read about EXTENT from http://mapserver.org/mapfile/map.html
Read carefully http://mapserver.org/ogc/wms_server.html
The mapfile on this page is quite a bit more complete than yours but we can try to improve it. Let's have a try by using EPSG:4326 as a default output projection

- Add MS_ERRORFILE into your mapfile at MAP level
- Add EXTENT -90 -180 90 180 at MAP level (or better the real extents of your data in EPSG:4326 units)
- Add UNITS DD at MAP level
- Add projection block at MAP level
	PROJECTION
	"init=epsg:4326"
	END
- Add projection block at LAYER level (what is the projection of your table in Oracle?)
- Add DEBUG 5 at LAYER level
- Make your request and look what gets written into the MS_ERRORFILE.

Tell us how your GetMap looks like. If you do not know, have a look at the logfile \ms4w\Apache\logs\access.log, the request get logged there.

Proper request would look about like this

http://localhost/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe?map=your.map&
REQUEST=GetMap&
SERVICE=WMS&
VERSION=1.1.1&
WIDTH=459&
HEIGHT=651&
LAYERS=TestMap&
TRANSPARENT=TRUE&
FORMAT=image/png&
BBOX=-180,-90,180,90&
SRS=EPSG:4326&
STYLES=

The error suggests that you are giving a layer name that does not exist in your system, thus something else than "TestMap". It may not be a good idea to have same name for the service and layer. Consider renaming the service into TestService and layer into TestLayer, it may save your hair in the future.

I hope this helps you a bit further.

-Jukka Rahkonen-