[mapserver-users] Newbie to Mapserver

shyam megha shyamnguitar at gmail.com
Thu Sep 26 23:13:11 PDT 2013

Hello Friends,

Am a newbie to Map server Windows.I want to use the WMS services of
Mapserver. This is what I have done until now referring websites
mapserver.org and onegeology.

Setup
--------
1. I have unzipped the zip package file to C:\ms4w.
2. Clicked the Setenv.bat to set the environment variables.
3. Set the server name as 172.16.210.46:80 in file
C:\ms4w\Apache\conf\httpd.conf
4. Apache MS4W started succesfully after running Apache-install.bat from
command prompt.Verified the same in services also.It is running fine.Later
even checked the browser by entering localhost and its returning me the
MS4W page.

Step Ahead:

I could not follow what is said in these websites about setting up WMS. I
could see my build supports WMS Services.

My questions are

Where should I place my Geotiffs?
Where do I place a MAP file ?How can I define path to a geotiff file in MAP
file?
Is there a facility to serve the tiles also ?