[mapserver-users] WMS Feature Order Problem

geographika geographika at gmail.com
Tue Apr 29 09:10:40 PDT 2014

Thanks Umberto,

I have an index set up on the TimeStamp field, but looking at the query
plans it won't affect performance as SQL Server still has to get all the
records in the table to order them, before applying WHERE clauses in the
outer query.

What would be ideal is a LAYER property such as ORDER which would allow
a field to be set to order records for rendering (similar to FILTER
which is added to the outer query).
I'll have to look at how Postgres handles subqueries to see if it is
also affected by the same issues.

Note SQL Server simply (and silently) ignores the ORDER BY clause when
using SELECT TOP 100 PERCENT.
This introduced hard to find logical errors in my application which were
only spotted by someone who knew the data well, so I'd suggest anyone
who relies on features being rendered in a specific order to
double-check their apps!