[mapserver-users] cascading WMS

Jörg Thomsen jt at mapmedia.de
Thu Aug 7 01:34:55 PDT 2014

Hello Stefan,

Am 06.08.2014 um 16:30 schrieb Stefan Carl:
> Dear list,
>
> I try to build a cascading WMS, which uses layers from a remote WMS.
> This was easy to build in a mapfile by specify a Layer in the Layer section.
>
> The remote WMS has over 400 layers and many goup layers in a layer tree.
>
> My Question is: Is it possible to build a cascading WMS which loads all
> Layers of a remote WMS (the complete Layer tree) without specify the
> layers one by one.

No, as the wms-spec says you have to call a WMS with one ore more
layer-names MapServer has to know the the layer-names (and it does not
make a capabilities call). So you have to write down all names behind
"wms_name".

Perhaps you coud try to load the remote layers in one qgis-layer and
export the layer to a mapfile. You have to check the
'experimantal'-checkbox in newer versions of qgis to see the
MapServer-Plug, It's name sth. like RT_Mapserver..

Regards, Jörg