[mapserver-users] What is the best way to test development versions on Windows?

TC Haddad tchaddad at gmail.com
Fri Feb 14 12:12:16 PST 2014

I agree with Donald that MS4W is an excellent intro to Mapserver for many
people - I have used it to teach Mapserver to others and it works very well
for that purpose. It is super portable, easy to use offline - many, many
great attributes. As Jukka mentions, OSGeo4W just is not the same in many
aspects.

I've wondered for a long time over the last year how MS4W could be better
supported by the community members - one idea was a crowdsource-type
funding effort that could bring it current and possibly support more
frequent releases. That might begin to address the financial aspect of
support.

But I am also curious if there are some technical barriers that have been
slowing the release process down? There have been some threads on the
Mapserver Dev list that made me wonder if supporting Windows is becoming
more difficult due to some of the new aspects of Mapserver itself. I'm not
knowledgeable enough to have details, and I don't follow closely enough to
understand the full range of barriers.

Obviously there are a lot of potential users on Windows, and that is good
for Mapserver overall, so hopefully any technical barriers are solvable if
funding is available. But it is certainly also a problem that the pathways
for easy funding are not obvious to those with funds to contribute. As a
whole, it is hard to tell from a distance how to begin to try to help.

Tanya