[mapserver-users] mapcache and excessive NFS traffic

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Thu Feb 20 11:18:39 PST 2014

On 2/20/2014 1:56 PM, Travis Kirstine wrote:
> We are running mapcache in a cluster with each tile/ webserver mounted
> to a shared cache.  Periodically (~once a month) the NFS mount will lock
> and the load average on the web servers will skyrocket.
>
> Has anyone encountered something similar?

Its been a few years but I have have found that it is better to use
samba mounts for this kind of application because they are more or less
stateless and they will recover a connection if a server drops out and
comes back or even just times out on an access. I wasn't using mapcache
but I did have a server farm with multiple systems all cross mounting a
distributed cache and NFS required numerous reboots. All those issues
went away using samba mounts.

-Steve W