[mapserver-users] How to deal with (visible) CONNECTION information in .MAP file for WMS purposes

Lime, Steve D (MNIT) Steve.Lime at state.mn.us
Mon Jan 6 06:39:01 PST 2014

You can also encrypt the database password using MapServer utilities. I do the following:

  - store the mapfiles outside web htdocs directory
  - encrypt database passwords (if in a shared hosting environment)
  - use webserver environment variables to reference mapfiles... this obfuscates your file system setup and makes your setup more portable since you reference the environment variable and not the file directly

Steve