[mapserver-users] really huge maps / MAXSIZE

Lars Lingner gislars+list at googlemail.com
Tue Jan 28 01:16:44 PST 2014

Hello MapServer users,

with the MAXSIZE parameter I can limit the output size. Does the value
depend only on the available memory? When I set it to high, MapServer is
crashing.

I was wondering if there is an option to force MapServer to use an
additional (slow) memory like a hard disk to make sure the rendering
size doesn't matter.

An other solution would be to write a script which splits a render
request into smaller ones and stitches the results together. That would
be independent from MapServer.

With really huge maps I mean more than 50000 pixel. With 32GB I can
manage up to 40000 pixel.

Is anyone else running MapServer at its pixel limit? How do you handle it?

Best wishes,

Lars