[mapserver-users] Publishing International Characters (Hindi) labels in WMS

davequery78 davequery78 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 28 21:13:15 PST 2014

I have UTF-8 encoded shape file (i.e. shape file with cpg “UTF-8”) and trying
to publish WMS with International Characters (Hindi) labels in via
MapServer.

As per attached snapshot, I am able to view International Characters (Hindi)
labels in ESRI ArcDesktop.
<http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/file/n5100605/hindi.png>

My Font file is
arial2		arial.ttf

My Map file is
LAYER
    DATA "C:/Temp/Hindi2.shp"
    NAME "POINT"
    TYPE POINT
    LABELITEM "HINDI"
    CLASS
      LABEL
        FONT "arial2"
        TYPE TRUETYPE
        SIZE 5
        COLOR 0 0 255
        MINDISTANCE -1
        MINFEATURESIZE -1
        PARTIALS TRUE
        POSITION CR
        OFFSET 5 0
        PRIORITY 10
        BUFFER 1
        OUTLINECOLOR 204 255 255
        ENCODING "UTF-8"
      END
      STYLE
        COLOR 163 123 57
        SIZE 5
        SYMBOL "CIRCLE"
        STYLE
          OUTLINECOLOR 163 123 57
          WIDTH 1
        END
      END
    END

In WMS GetMap URL label output is “???”

Please help me in resolving this issue of displaying International
Characters (Hindi) lables via MapServer.