[mapserver-users] Layer with over 6000 shapefiles

Rahkonen Jukka (Tike) jukka.rahkonen at mmmtike.fi
Wed Jan 29 10:29:15 PST 2014

Oh, I thought you had something interesting :)

If that little shapefile was slow you for sure had no qix index on that. One shapefile will be good for you but ogrtileindex is about as good alternative and if you have faulty data in some of the 6000 original shapefiles you can correct just those.  I believe that Spatialite db with spatial index and vacuumed would be as fast or faster.

-Jukka Rahkonen-

 EVANS, JAMES R GS-13 USAF ACC 84 RADES/SCZE wrote:

> I was off on the size of the shape file.  It's 265MB, not GB.  Doh!  Anyway, the performance when processing that files was still surprisingly bad.  Quad core server and all 4 core's were maxed out for about 5 minutes after just loading that layer on a client.  I am running Server 2003, and only have 4GB ram on that server.  We are looking at replacing it.
James