[mapserver-users] POST for WMS - supported

bteluk at gmail.com bteluk at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 21:11:42 PST 2015

Hi all,
Are HTTP POST requests supported for WMS GetMap requests?  I realise that
requests including an SLD are supported... but what about for requests not
using an SLD?

I'm using MapServer v6.0.3.  I've tried to code up the layer name, format,
bounds etc as a POSTED request and can't get it to work.  I realise it's
just as easy to use the GET request, but I'm writing a short library to
enable other apps/developers to interact with the MapServer and because some
requests will need SLD and some won't, I thought I'd minimise the number of
functions by just having a POST version for GetMap rather than a GET version
as well.

Regards, Bill

My URL looks like:
http://pucu-gap-02.networks.in.telstra.com.au/cgi-bin/mapserv?map=/volumes/data/mapconfig/globaleye/geinfrastructuredata.map&

My request body looks like below:

The error reported back:

MapServer logs the following error:

Note: the equivalent HTTP GET request works fine - URL:

http://pucu-gap-02.networks.in.telstra.com.au/cgi-bin/mapserv?map=/volumes/data/mapconfig/globaleye/geinfrastructuredata.map&SERVICE=WMS&VERSION=1.3.0&REQUEST=GetMap&LAYERS=ExchSrvAreaBnd&CRS=EPSG:4283&BBOX=-38.015224,144.9277075,-37.69606,145.2468715&WIDTH=800&HEIGHT=600&FORMAT=image/png&TRANSPARENT=FALSE