[mapserver-users] Odd warning in WFS GetCapabilities ~ what's missing in the config?

Passmore, James H. jpass at bgs.ac.uk
Thu Mar 12 08:06:22 PDT 2015

Thanks to Jeff and Jukka for commenting on this.

> You are missing the required parameter VERSION in your request.  If I add
> it to your request I get no warnings:
> http://194.66.252.155/cgi-bin/BGS_OGE_Bedrock_and_Surface_Geology_in2/ows?service=WFS&request=GetCapabilities&VERSION=1.0.0
>
> --
> Jeff McKenna
> MapServer Consulting and Training Services http://www.gatewaygeomatics.com/

> Hi Jeff,
>
> If you use &version=1.1.0 you'll see the warnings:
>
> http://194.66.252.155/cgi-bin/BGS_OGE_Bedrock_and_Surface_Geology_in2/ows?service=WFS&request=GetCapabilities&VERSION=1.1.0
>

> -Jukka-

So as I understand it to answer the original question, is there anything wrong with the config, the answer here is no, and the error message is indeed in error!

MapServer is expecting a version number in the request, so the error message should perhaps reflect this facet.

However both the WFS 1.0.0 and WFS 1.1.0 tell me that the version parameter is optional, so Mapserver shouldn't have this expectation.

For example:

Web Feature Service Implementation Specification, Version: 1.0.0

OGC 02-058

12.2 Request

The service attribute is described in section 7.8. The version attribute, unlike the normal case, is not mandatory since a client application may not have apriori knowledge about what versions a server may support. The client and the server will need to apply the rules of version negotiation as described in Section 6.2.4.

and

Web Feature Service Implementation Specification, Version: 1.1.0

OGC 04-094

6.2.4 Version number negotiation

An OWS Client may negotiate with a Service Instance to determine a mutually agreeable specification version. Negotiation is performed using the GetCapabilities operation [sec. 13] according to the following rules.

All Capabilities XML must include a protocol version number. In response to a GetCapabilities request containing a version number, a web feature service must either respond with output that conforms to that version of the specification, or negotiate a mutually agreeable version if the requested version is not implemented on the server. If no version number is specified in the request, the server must respond with the highest version it understands and label the response accordingly.

Cheers

James