[mapserver-users] stretching imagery in MapServer

Mark Volz MarkVolz at co.lyon.mn.us
Tue May 26 12:07:42 PDT 2015

Jukka, (and others)

Thank you for your reply.  I think I figured out how lut works.  If you don't mind please check and make sure I have this correct:

I can use ArcGIS to report the correct input and output values for a n=2.5 standard deviation by going to layers->symbology->stretch->histograms->Info window.  Once I have those values I can modify my map file to include for example:

PROCESSING "LUT_1=73:0,226:255" #changes red band input of 0-73 to 0, inputs of 226-255 to 255, inputs between 73-226 linearly interpolated.
PROCESSING "LUT_2=60:0,199:255" #changes green band input of 0-60 to 0, inputs of 199-255 to 255, inputs between 60-199 linearly interpolated.
PROCESSING "LUT_3=35:0,155:255" #changes blue band input of 0-35 to 0, inputs of 155-255 to 255, inputs between 35-155 linearly interpolated.

P.S.
Before I knew what the heck I was doing with LUT I noticed that I could identify wet areas, and tree cover quite easily with the following combinations:

PROCESSING "LUT=50:50,60:250,70:250" is a good way to identify tree cover.
PROCESSING "LUT=50:50,60:250,70:70"  is a good way to identify wet areas.

Thank You
Sincerely,
Mark Volz, GISP