[mapserver-users] [EXTERNAL] Re: Mapserver 7+oracle - wfs getFeature with filter on numeric field

Gertjan van Oosten gertjan at West.NL
Fri May 29 06:57:04 PDT 2015

As quoted from "Eichner, Andreas - SID" <Andreas.Eichner at sid.sachsen.de>:
> And the implementation specification is also very imprecise about it:
>
>   "The <Literal> element is used to encode literal scalar and geometric values."
>
> So the schema does not restrict the <Literal>'s value to be xsd:double
> nor does the spec. FES 2.0 adds a "type" attribute and uses a XML
> schema datatype as example. Therefore I guess it's intended that a
> <Literal> element holds content matching the datatype advertised by a
> DescribeFeatureType request.

In which case it boils down to: so what is actually advertised in the
DescribeFeatureType response? There we see that a feature has an
attribute called 'type'. In the end this will have to be a defined type
with a defined representation, otherwise it will be anybody's guess what
happens (e.g. if my client has a locale with decimal comma and the
server has a locale with decimal point, who's to say what's the truth
when I send the value 1,234 ?). If it's a standard type like xsd:double,
its representation is defined in the W3C standard.

Cheers,
--
-- Gertjan van Oosten, Principal Consultant, West Consulting B.V.
-- gertjan at West.NL     +31 15 2191 600       www.west.nl