[mapserver-users] Ogrtileindex bug in Mapserver 7.0

Rahkonen Jukka (MML) jukka.rahkonen at maanmittauslaitos.fi
Thu Oct 22 01:39:48 PDT 2015

Hi,

I have loads of shapefiles on a disk and I have combined them into a single layer by creating an index shapefile with ogrtindex http://www.gdal.org/ogrtindex.html which is doing the same for the original vector datasets than gdaltindex for images by storing an envelope of each source dataset into the index file. "Vector tile" in my question means the envelope in the ogrtindex shapefile.

The issue is that when I use CONNECTIONTYPE OGR and the BBOX of the GetMap request is totally inside of some envelope in the ogrtindex shapefile then Mapserver believes that BBOX contains no data. It only finds the envelopes (and finally the original vector data by following the file path that is stored into the LOCATION field)  if BBOX is intersecting the boundary of an envelope. See my trial with ASCII graphics below, when BBOX is totally inside the envelope then no data are found. The key is that data are not found when BBOX intersects with the envelope (the interior of the polygon) but not with the boundary of the polygon. With native TILEINDEX access to vector data this issue does not happen.

-------------------
|   ----- ----        |
|  | BBOX |       |  <envelope of a vector dataset or "vector tile"

-Jukka Rahkonen

thomas Bonfort wrote:

It's not clear to me what your issue actually is....

> reading data from the shapefiles which are behind the ogrtileindex
> file only if the BBOX of the WMS GetMap request intersects the
> boundary of the vector tile

->why is that not the expected behavior?
-> what do you mean by "vector tile" ?