[mapserver-users] Σχετ: Encoding problem

Stefanos Anastasiou emperor_stef at yahoo.gr
Tue Oct 27 14:32:33 PDT 2015

Yes, glyphs are there. I also tried two different glyphs in .ttf but still not working.I can't imagine what else could be wrong
Thank you..!!

     Στις 10:10 μ.μ. Δευτέρα, 26 Οκτωβρίου 2015, ο/η thomas bonfort <thomas.bonfort at gmail.com> έγραψε:

 The cpg file is not read/used by mapserver.
In your case, and as Stephen pointed out, you should make sure that
the font you are using with mapserver contains the glyphs for your
greek glyphs.

--
thomas

On 26 October 2015 at 20:37, Stefanos Anastasiou <emperor_stef at yahoo.gr> wrote:
> Well, apparently there's a problem with greek letters.  I created a
> shapefile from scratch and saved it with UTF-8 encoding. A ".cpg" file is
> created along the shapefile as well that has only the "UTF-8" statement. I
> entered greek letters in the shapefile's field and used
>
>    ENCODING UTF-8
>
> in the layer level.  Also dbfdump  gives me UTF-8 Unicode text.
>
> Still getting weird symbols. The only readable letter is "π"
>
> Thank you.
>
> -Stefanos
>

> Στις 9:11 μ.μ. Δευτέρα, 26 Οκτωβρίου 2015, ο/η thomas bonfort
> <thomas.bonfort at gmail.com> έγραψε:
>

>> RFC suggests all characters should iconv'd to
>> UTF-8. Am I right?
> If you're creating the datasource from scratch and have the choice,
> then yes, use UTF8. If you have an exisiting datasource you cannot
> modify, just set the LAYER->ENCODING to ISO-8859 (well, the one that
> is is supported by iconv) and the transormation to utf8 will be done
> automatically and internally by mapserver.
>
> --
> thomas
>

>> -Stefanos
>>

>> Στις 8:25 μ.μ. Δευτέρα, 26 Οκτωβρίου 2015, ο/η thomas bonfort
>> <thomas.bonfort at gmail.com> έγραψε:
>>

>> Stefanos,
>> First off, you *need* to know the encoding that's actually used by
>> each datasource, there's no way of guessing that reliably
>> programmatically. And since MapServer 7, the ENCODING keyword has been
>> moved to the LAYER level:
>> http://mapserver.org/development/rfc/ms-rfc-103.html
>> If you have the possibility, and/or in the future, always use UTF8
>> inside your datasources.
>>
>> regards,
>> thomas
>>
>> On 26 October 2015 at 19:16, Stefanos Anastasiou <emperor_stef at yahoo.gr>
>> wrote:
>>> Hello everybody.
>>>
>>> I'm having a small issue with truetype and encoding in greek. Instead of
>>> normal letters I'm getting weird symbols or even shapes.
>>>
>>> iconv -l | grep {GREEK |  ISO-8859-7 | WINDOWS-1253}          are all
>>> present in the system.
>>>

>>> My Mapserver version:
>>>
>>> MapServer version 7.0.0 OUTPUT=PNG OUTPUT=JPEG OUTPUT=KML SUPPORTS=PROJ
>>> SUPPORTS=AGG SUPPORTS=FREETYPE SUPPORTS=CAIRO SUPPORTS=ICONV SUPPORTS=XMP
>>> SUPPORTS=FRIBIDI SUPPORTS=WMS_SERVER SUPPORTS=WMS_CLIENT
>>> SUPPORTS=WFS_SERVER
>>> SUPPORTS=WFS_CLIENT SUPPORTS=WCS_SERVER SUPPORTS=SOS_SERVER
>>> SUPPORTS=FASTCGI
>>> SUPPORTS=GEOS INPUT=JPEG INPUT=POSTGIS INPUT=OGR INPUT=GDAL