[mapserver-users] Announcing the new MS4W

Rahkonen Jukka (MML) jukka.rahkonen at maanmittauslaitos.fi
Sat Sep 26 01:04:45 PDT 2015

Hi,

The add-ons are great work. However, my point is that without doing any additional installations the best that a new Mapserver user can achieve is "No query information to decode. QUERY_STRING is set, but empty." while everybody who has installed Geoserver can read WMS GetCapabilities from http://localhost :8080 and either add the service to any WMS or play with the demo viewer:
http://demo.opengeo.org/geoserver/topp/wms?service=WMS&version=1.1.0&request=GetMap&layers=topp:states&styles=&bbox=-124.73142200000001,24.955967,-66.969849,49.371735&width=780&height=330&srs=EPSG:4326&format=application/openlayers

I still think that the best marketing we could do for Mapserver would be to offer an immediate out-of-box experience for Mapserver users on any platform "Hey, it makes maps! "

-Jukka Rahkonen-

Jeff McKenna wrote:

>  Hi Jukka,

> Speaking of that, I spent a considerable amount of time for this release setting up the MS4W add-ons for this version (MapServer 7).  Actually this does handle the needs you mention.  Such as OGC: well there is an MS4W add-on named "MapServer OGC Workshop" that contains so many links to services and working mapfiles (all working for MapServer 7).  Need full applications working with MapServer 7? : well there is GeoMOOSE (latest release) or Mapbender (latest release), all ready for you to use with MS4W.  Looking for the original (as in Steve Lime's CGI demo), it works now with MapServer 7 even, as an MS4W add-on, named "MapServer Itasca Demo Application". :)

In total there is over 500 MB of working mapfiles, data, applications ready to get you going.

Give them a try: http://www.ms4w.com/download.html

See you on the new MS4W list.

-jeff

--