[mapserver-users] MS SQL server - OGR 5 times slower compared to Mapserver plugin?

Rahkonen Jukka (MML) jukka.rahkonen at maanmittauslaitos.fi
Fri Apr 8 04:10:28 PDT 2016

Hi,

Have you ever tried to add a hint with OGR connection for forcing the use of spatial index https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms187373.aspx?

The syntax might be

    DATA "SELECT * FROM ASSETS.Parcels WITH (INDEX(your_spatial_idx))"

Sorry if the syntax is not right, I have never used MS SQL myself.

-Jukka Rahkonen-

Martin Icking wrote:

Hi Seth,
here the relevant (anonymized) sections in the mapfile:
    CONNECTION
"MSSQL:Server=myserver;uid=user;pwd=password;Database=mydatabase;Integrated
Security=false"
    CONNECTIONTYPE OGR
    DATA "SELECT * FROM ASSETS.Parcels"

As a consequence of the slow OGR performance we didn't do lot of SQL Server profiling (do you have a link for a good description on this?) but we switched back to the MS plugin. Fixing the code to correctly support the "gml_types" "auto" clause was not too difficult. (Will create a pull request about this fix soon).
Tx
Martin