[mapserver-users] Filtering NULL values from Postgis Layer in Mapserver 7

Eichner, Andreas - SID Andreas.Eichner at sid.sachsen.de
Wed Aug 17 05:43:33 PDT 2016

Hello Marco,

IMHO the best solution would be to implement a "IS NULL" operator or function for the mapserver expressions. I guess this was not implemented because MS was originally developed for rendering ESRI-Shapefiles which do not support NULL values.

According to http://mapserver.org/cgi/runsub.html#table-of-contents LAYER/PROCESSING should support runtime substitution since 7.0 so you could try to use the 'NATIVE_FILTER' processing option with something like '%MY_VAR1% is not null and %MY_VAR2% is not null' (very much like your FILTER in MS 6.4):

PROCESSING "NATIVE_FILTER=%MY_VAR1% is not null and %MY_VAR2% is not null"

If that does not work (check the debug log if the statement build has substitutions applied) your only solution would be to use the DATA statement with a sub-select. Something like:

DATA "the_geom from (select gid, the_geom, %MY_VAR1% as attr1, %MY_VAR2% as attr2 from
      geotable where %MY_VAR1% is not null and %MY_VAR2% is not null) as subquery
      using unique gid using srid=4326"

Hopefully one of that works for you...