[mapserver-users] Generic geometry type in WFS

Rahkonen Jukka (MML) jukka.rahkonen at maanmittauslaitos.fi
Mon Dec 19 07:25:04 PST 2016

Hi,

I read from http://mapserver.org/ogc/wfs_server.html this comment:

"WFS spec. seems to require that features of a given feature type must all be of the same geometry type (point, line, polygon). This works fine for shapefiles, but some data source formats supported by MapServer allow mixed geometry types in a single layer and this goes against the WFS spec. Suggestions on how to handle this are welcome (send suggestions to the mapserver-dev mailing list."

Without seeing a reliable reference I do not quite believe that mixed geometries are not allowed. Geoserver and probably also ArcGIS server handle this case by advertising unknown/mixed geometries as type='gml:GeometryPropertyType'

The metadata item gml_[geometry name]_type could have one more option "geometry" in addition to the documented list
    point
    multipoint
    line
    multiline
    polygon
    multipolygon

The list makes me think that don't we support GeometryCollections?

-Jukka Rahkonen-