[mapserver-users] Very poor WMS tiling performance with small area, ultra-high resolution image

Avi Blackmore support at satshot.com
Fri Feb 12 14:28:22 PST 2016

Hello,

	We've been using Mapserver as, among other things, a WMS server for some time with satellite and aerial imagery, without problems.  We've been able to serve imagery of resolutions down to .25 meters without any significant performance hit.

	Today, we got a sample image from a new source, which has a resolution of 0.06 meters.  The image is 317 megabytes in size, and has dimensions of 17538 x 19035 pixels.  The file size is smaller than many of the Landsat or other images that we have displayed in the past.  However, we're finding that rendering this image is extremely expensive.  In particular, with tiled access, a la Google Maps, the WMS requests bog down our server to the point where all of its memory is consumed.

	I know that overviews, tiling, and such, are good strategies for reducing the render time on a large area, reasonably high resolution image.  But what would be good strategies for improving rendering time on this smaller, ultra-high resolution image?
--
Avi Blackmore
Head Programmer/System Administrator