[mapserver-users] Listing mapfile dependencies

James Klassen klassen.js at gmail.com
Fri Jan 22 13:53:28 PST 2016

We are basically building a smaller version of our production server:

* Raspberry Pi 2 Model B running Raspbian Jessie with a fast SD card (a
fast SD card is critical)
* MapServer 6.4 compiled from source (we apply a couple of minor patches),
although I think mapserver is in the OS repository too.
* PostGIS
* GeoMoose
* A bunch of ruby services (in lieu of the standard PHP ones, again to
match our production build, not because of any Pi specific problems with
PHP)

It doesn't compete speed wise with the regular servers (somewhere between
2x and 30x slower depending on the task), but it is usably responsive for
one or two users. The biggest limitation is having to be choosy about what
data goes on it because SD cards are a lot smaller than the SAN.