[mapserver-users] mapserver basemap

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Mon May 23 03:34:34 PDT 2016

On 2016-05-23 6:25 AM, Yves Jacolin wrote:
> On Friday, May 20, 2016 16:05:31 Eugenio Trumpy wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I would like to insert a modern basemap on a running mapserver project.
>> Currently I set a mapfile including about 15 layers and a raster tif file
>> representing the hillshade of the study area, as basemap.
>> My aim is to substitute the running base map with something more dynamic as
>> well as with higher resolution and at the same time not heavy to slow down
>> the service. These basemap aspects are new for me, I found documentation
>> but not so clear for me, I need something easy. What can you suggest me? Is
>> it an hard stuff? or can I handle it? I think I could have at least 2
>> possibilities: to insert a WMS global layer, (and in case can you suggest
>> me a nice service?), or set up something like tiles service (like OSM), in
>> case how??
>>
>> Thank you in advance,
>>
> Eugenio,
>
> Did you try the basemaps project?
>
> https://github.com/mapserver/basemaps/
>
> Doc is here: https://github.com/mapserver/mapserver/wiki/Rendering-OSM-data-on-Ubuntu-12.04

The equivalent page for Windows users is:
https://github.com/mapserver/mapserver/wiki/RenderingOsmDataWindows

Note that if you choose to go down this path with Basemaps, please feel
free to edit these wiki pages with your updates, notes, changes.  Thanks,

-jeff

--
Jeff McKenna
http://www.gatewaygeomatics.com/