[mapserver-users] Mapcache support for multiple format types

Cechini, Matthew F. (GSFC-423.0)[Science Systems & Applications, Inc.] matthew.f.cechini at nasa.gov
Tue Nov 22 12:51:04 PST 2016

A compelling situation could be a layer that has uses cases where you want it have transparency or not, making it an “overlay” or “base layer” respectively.

Though, if you’re serving it as 24+1bit PNG with transparency, you’re gonna lose quality in JPEG, so you would probably want to return a 24bit PNG.  And at that point, you would have to have separate layers because the mime type is the same.

As an aside, a member of our team did work on a JPNG approach where tiles that require transparency are PNG and those that do not are JPEG.  The devil is in the details of quality mapping with that though.

Matt
Matthew Cechini
Contractor, Science Systems and Applications, Inc.
NASA GIBS Systems/Software Engineer
410.205.6272

From: mapserver-users <mapserver-users-bounces at lists.osgeo.org<mailto:mapserver-users-bounces at lists.osgeo.org>> on behalf of thomas bonfort <thomas.bonfort at gmail.com<mailto:thomas.bonfort at gmail.com>>
Date: Tuesday, November 22, 2016 at 1:28 PM
To: tellett <thomas.ellett at statkart.no<mailto:thomas.ellett at statkart.no>>, "mapserver-users at lists.osgeo.org<mailto:mapserver-users at lists.osgeo.org>" <mapserver-users at lists.osgeo.org<mailto:mapserver-users at lists.osgeo.org>>
Subject: Re: [mapserver-users] Mapcache support for multiple format types

Hi Tom,
My question wasn't clear, or you did not answer my question ;-)
I was looking for a compelling *use-case* where the solution requires a tile server to support both jpeg and png for a given tileset. My stance for mapcache is that the data producer (i.e. you as the mapcache administrator) knows his data and therefore which format (*singular*) is best suited for a given tileset. I'd be happy to revisit my judgment if presented with a scenario where more than one format per tileset is actually needed.

Cheers,
Thomas