[mapserver-users] Legend graphic output: Nested.

Basques, Bob (CI-StPaul) bob.basques at ci.stpaul.mn.us
Thu Dec 14 07:59:52 PST 2017

Anbyone have any ideas on how to output a nested, or indented legend graphic (as a raster image?)?

Looking for something like this:

Storm
— Fitting (blue)
— Catchbasin (blue)
— Manhole (blue)
— Forcemain (blue)
— Storm Pipe (blue)
Storm, Private
— Fitting (lightblue)
— Catchbasin (lightblue)
— Manhole (lightblue)
— Forcemain (lightblue)
— Storm Pipe (lightblue)
Storm, Saint Paul
— Fitting (purple)
— Catchbasin (purple)
— Manhole (purple)
— Forcemain (purple)
— Storm Pipe (purple)
etc.

Each of the sub list items are a separate layer in the MAPFILE, and the Main headings, would be used to filter on.  Do all 15 layers above need to be defined in order to get a line in the legend to appear.  This is just an example BTW, I have many more main headings to contend with.  I guess it comes down to, how do I grab the filter item and insert it into the Legend graphic, and probably along with the color assignment as well.  Maybe I’m thinking about this backwards.  I could pass in the color along with the main heading filter . . . but how to get a composite legend.  Maybe it needs to be three (or more) different calls.
. . . .

A simpler description of the need, is to display a seamless Sewer network with color coded ownership, but using the same cartography for each sub-heading.  Hmm, maybe an INCLUDE . . .

It feels like a Monday today for some reason . . . .  :c)

bobb

We learn from history that we do not learn from history.

   ~ George Wilhelm Hegel