[mapserver-users] WMS T time series data support

Rahkonen Jukka (MML) jukka.rahkonen at maanmittauslaitos.fi
Wed Jan 11 12:41:16 PST 2017

Hi,

Forward step by step. Remove everything that is time-related, read http://www.mapserver.org/optimization/tileindex.html and make your tileindex layer to work and show all your images. Once that works for you, continue to time series stuff.

BTW I have never seen this before “CLASS  #class to show the image in red”. What makes you think that it works? Is it documented somewhere?

-Jukka Rahkonen-

Sushrut Shivaswamy wrote:
Re: [mapserver-users] WMS T time series data support

Hey,

I created a WMS-T layer from a time series image mosaic as follows.

  *   Ran gdaltindex on the tiff files to generate the index shapefle called index.shp.
  *   I edited the index.shp file in QGIS and added another column called "timeWater" and added the time value in YYYY-MM-DD format next to each location entry.
  *   I added this layer to the mapfie as follows.
LAYER
NAME "Inundation"
  TYPE RASTER
  STATUS ON
  DEBUG ON
  PROJECTION
    "init=epsg:4326"
  END
  METADATA
    "wms_title" "INUN_WMS_T"
    "wms_srs"   "EPSG:4326"
    "wms_extent" "67.6 7.34 97.7 38.74"
    "wms_timeextent" "2015-12-01/2015-12-03"
    "wms_timeitem" "timeWater" #timeWater is a column in the index shapefile specifying time value for each tiff image
    "wms_timedefault" "2015-12-03"
    "wms_timeformat" "YYYY-MM-DD"
  END
  #TILEITEM "location" #filepath is a column in postgis table with varchar of the filepath to each image
  TILEINDEX "index"  #index is the name of the shape file generated with gdaltindex
  FILTER (`[timeWater]` = `2015-12-03`)
CLASS  #class to show the image in red
      STYLE
        COLOR 236 0 0
      END # STYLE
    END # CLASS
END

The TILEINDEX property is set to "index" which is the name of the index shapefile haveing the path and time in its columns.
The paths to the TIFF files are in the "location" column.
The time field is in the column "timeWater".

The GetCapabilities request now shows my layer with a <Dimension></Dimension> field in it so I assume it has been published properly as a layer.
Despite this when I make a GetMap request to this layer I get a blank image in png format and a black image in jpeg format.

Is the TILEINDEX property in the map file the name of the shape file or the name of a PostGIS table?

Any idea on what could be wrong?

Note: The paths mentioned in the index shapefile are correct and relative to the map file.
          The index shapefile has also been placed in the same directory as the .map file.

Regards,
Sushrut Shivaswamy