[mapserver-users] Σχετ: Place names and language

Rahkonen Jukka (MML) jukka.rahkonen at maanmittauslaitos.fi
Sat Jan 21 13:13:51 PST 2017

Hi,

Jeff and Stefanos are probably giving good hints about how to render non-western character sets. However, I wonder if Aimee actually wants to have English names everywhere. Is this what you want, Aimee?

If you have a look the OSM data, for example Moscow

http://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/2555133 you will notise that the "name" tag has the local name. The English name must be searched from the "name:en" tag.

Reading about multilingual names in OSM:

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Multilingual_names

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Names

For making an English preferred maps you may want to use COALESCE

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/static/functions-conditional.html for selecting "name:en" if that exists, otherwise select "name".

-Jukka Rahkonen-

________________________________
Lahettaja: mapserver-users <mapserver-users-bounces at lists.osgeo.org> kayttajan puolestaStefanos Anastasiou <emperor_stef at yahoo.gr>
Lahetetty: 21. tammikuuta 2017 22:42
Vastaanottaja: aimdev; mapserver-users at lists.osgeo.org
Aihe: [mapserver-users] Σχετ: Place names and language

Hi Aimee,
   I had a similar problem a while ago and I was seeing weird boxes and characters on my labels so I was trying to use ENCODING in my mapfile to solve this, since "iconv -l" command listed greek as well. Eventually I found out that if I install the fonts for my language (greek), and then reference them correctly in my mapfile with the fonts.list file, it is working perfectly without having to use ENCODING in my mapfile. My fonts are truetype fonts so if you try this, add "TYPE truetype" in your label object.  My Mapserver version is 7.0.1.
   Hope this helps.

Regards,
Stefanos

Στις 8:01 μ.μ. Σάββατο, 21 Ιανουαρίου 2017, ο/η aimdev <aimdev at mail.com> έγραψε:

Hi

I have installed on mapserver a planet file imported using imposm3.
Maps all ok, however, for non english countries,(Middle East/Russia/China etc) the place names  are in the local language
(Arabic/Russian or for China, square boxes).
Is this normal?, or have I messed up somewhere in a mapping?

Thanks

Aimee

mapserver 7.0.3 is the server release.