[mapserver-users] Simple fix but I'm new: I’ve installed MapServer but can’t see the layers on the ‘demo’

Andy Colson andy at squeakycode.net
Mon Sep 4 07:26:27 PDT 2017

On 09/04/2017 05:15 AM, Neil Pritchard wrote:
> I’ve installed MapServer but can’t see the layers on the ‘demo’.
> I followed the instructions on the MapServer website, to install
> MapServer on Ubuntu LTS 16.04.3 Server:-
>
> Created the following apache configuration to the file in
> /etc/apache2/sites-available/001-mapserver.conf :-
>
> <VirtualHost *:80>
>      ErrorLog ${APACHE_LOG_DIR}/mapserver-error.log

That error log might contain some useful info, you should check it.

> When working through this example:-
> http://mapserver.org/uk/tutorial/example1-1.html#example1-1

I've never gone through the example, so I might not understand.

> I tried calling the URI to see a single layer:-
> http://localhost/cgi-bin/mapserv?map=/ms4w/apps/tutorial/htdocs/example1-1.map&layer=states&mode=map
>
> In my case I’m working on a headless Linux virtual machine so used the
> following URI:-
> http://192.168.116.135/mapcache?map=/ms4w/apps/tutorial/htdocs/example1-1.map&layer=states&mode=map
>

> The HTML response only contained the following text:-
> received wms with no service and request

But on openlayers sample page:
http://openlayers.org/en/latest/examples/epsg-4326.html?q=

it makes single layer requests like:
https://ahocevar.com/geoserver/wms?SERVICE=WMS&VERSION=1.3.0&REQUEST=GetMap&FORMAT=image%2Fpng&TRANSPARENT=true&LAYERS=ne%3ANE1_HR_LC_SR_W_DR&TILED=true&WIDTH=256&HEIGHT=256&CRS=EPSG%3A4326&STYLES=&BBOX=0%2C-90%2C90%2C0

(Yes, its geoserver not mapserver, but the same params are sent to both.  And it contains SERVICE=WMS and REQUEST=GetMap)

Also, I should note, I've not used mapcache.  I think you should first get mapserver working and forget mapcache for the moment.  Put mapcache on top of a working mapserver.

-Andy