[mapserver-users] GRABBING some default CGI parameters in MapFile.

Basques, Bob (CI-StPaul) bob.basques at ci.stpaul.mn.us
Tue Sep 12 07:57:31 PDT 2017

All,

I’ve been wanting to build a HUD display sort of thing like this for quite a while, thankfully a project came along to let me do it.  I think I’ll have a bunch more similar work come in after some other folks see this in operation.  I’m to a point of sitting back and watching it be used now.

Here is an image and screenshot of the final product. All Mapserver, and only Mapserver (oh, and PostGIS too.):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xwt2rmp1pvdktzc/rc_parcels_assessment.02d.png?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/x04lsjlpk24n9yk/Screen%20Shot%202017-09-12%20at%209.56.36%20AM.png?dl=0

The bottom boxes are actually Labels generated from a SQL ARRAY output from PostGIS.  All relational work for the Parcel Edges to Street/Alley Centerlines also built entirely inside of PostGIS/Postgres.  Worked really well as a matter of fact.  The new Materialized view stuff in Postgres was invaluable. I still have some stuff to do with Condos, some of them are stacked on top of each other which presents some problems, but I think I have that figured out now.

I can send the MAPFILE to anyone interested.  I need to santize it first though.  there were some definte gotchas in this mapfile, namely, the effects of the GEOTRANFORM on other mapfile things needs a bit more documentation I think.

Thanks for the help on this.

bobb

P.S. I had a thought about stacking the Labels along the bottom, but justified to a corner, problem is, they are all variable width/height, if they are cached is there a way to squish them all into a corner along an edge somehow, either vertically or horizontally?

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible."
- Walt Disney