[mapserver-users] MapServer returns a blank image when requesting a square image

Pablo Sanfilippo sanfilippopablo at gmail.com
Wed Jan 10 09:46:34 PST 2018

Hi all,

I admit this is the weirdest issue I have come across. This are the
relevant parts of my MapServer configuration:

# A valid mapfile used for testing
MAP
  NAME valid
  STATUS ON
  PROJECTION
    "init=epsg:4326"
  END

  IMAGECOLOR 0 0 0
  TRANSPARENT ON

  WEB
    METADATA
      "wms_srs"             "EPSG:4326 EPSG:3857"
  END
  END

  LAYER
    NAME "index"
    STATUS ON
    TYPE POLYGON
    CONNECTIONTYPE POSTGIS
    CONNECTION "host=x port=x dbname=x user=x password=x"
    DATA "geometry from (select i.geometry, i.id, '/vsis3/' || i.s3_bucket
|| '/' || i.s3_key as location from images_image) as index using unique id"
    CLASS
      STYLE
        OUTLINECOLOR 0 0 0
        WIDTH 1.0
        COLOR 200 200 200
        ANTIALIAS true
      END
    END
  END

  LAYER
    NAME "images"
    STATUS ON
    TILEINDEX "index"
    TILEITEM "location"
    TYPE RASTER
    PROJECTION
      AUTO
    END
    METADATA
      "wms_title"           "Images"
    END
  END

END

The data in the PostGIS index is in EPSG:4326. The images referenced by the
index are GeoTIFFs georeferenced in EPSG:4326.

A WMS request for the index layer shows the index polygons fine, whatever
the SRS and image size in the request.
A WMS request for the images layer using SRS=EPSG:4326 shows the images
fine, whatever the image size.
A WMS request for the images layer using SRS=EPSG:3857 will work fine as
long as the requested image size's x is greater than or equal to the y. If
not, it will return a blank (transparent) image. For example, a 1300x1299
image will work fine, a 1300x1300 image won't work and 1301x1300 won't work
either.

Any clues?

Thanks!