[mapserver-users] Out-of-memory error due to huge NTv2 shift-file

Michael Schulz mandschulz at googlemail.com
Wed Jan 24 06:47:23 PST 2018

Dear mapservers,

in our region in Germany a new CRS is introduced (ETRS:25832). For
cadastral precision a NTv2 grid-shift file has been generated. This uses a
very fine grid and is now 350MB in size. While we tested this file in our
dev environment and everything worked fine, our production environment is
not able to cope with the amount of requests, since it seems, that each
mapserver process is opening that file and soon Out-of-memory errors
appear, until the server is not answering anymore. Not sure whether each
request is causing the .gsb file to be loaded, or only requests that
actually invoke a reprojection.

I assume that we can reduce the amount of needed reprojections as soon as
data is permanently projected to the new CRS, but still some on-the-fly
projections will be necessary. I am looking for good strategies to handle
this problem. Could anyone give some advice?

Cheers, Michael

Michael Schulz

Kandelstr. 22