[mapserver-users] Amazon AWS instance size for MapServer

Richard Greenwood richard.greenwood at gmail.com
Tue May 1 19:07:36 PDT 2018

You will probably do fine with the smaller instance, but a few things to
consider:
* Data from shapefiles not a database.
* A qix index on the shapefiles if > 10k features.
* FastCGI.
* Labeling can be pretty resource intensive so pay attention to them.
* Linux, not Windows, which requires more memory.
* SSD

On Tue, May 1, 2018 at 8:51 AM, Derek <jmorgan3 at uwf.edu> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I was curious if anyone has recent experience with Amazon AWS instance
> sizes for MapServer. We are looking at a small-scale usage (e.g. 30 users)
> and 30-50 vector layers served as WMS across the geographic scale of
> Florida. For instance, I am comparing t2.medium with 2 virtual CPU's and 4
> GiB of memory verses t2.large with 4 virtual CPUs AND 8 GiB of memory (see
> https://aws.amazon.com/ec2/instance-types/)
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> J. Derek  Morgan, Ph.D. GISP