[mapserver-users] Ideas about how to render over/under roadways/bridges in maps?

Basques, Bob (CI-StPaul) bob.basques at ci.stpaul.mn.us
Tue Sep 18 09:14:15 PDT 2018

All,

I’m looking for general techniques in how to best manage rendering of over/under roadway and rail road bridges, etc.

My first thought was to use some sort of special overlay layer to handle this.  But maybe a database appraoch might be better.  I also start to fall into the problem of having a lot of transporation related layers,   Streets and Railroads obviously, but the not the so obvious are Alleys, Sidewalks, Park Trails/Paths, Bike Routes, tunnels, etc.

How to make these all stack nicely.  I generally maintain these things all in thier own grouping right now as separate datasets.  They originate from separate authors and are maintained that way too.  Which is why I was thinking that a DB approach might be the best to make the Z-indexing work.

Thoughts?

Thanks

bobb

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
- Albert Einstein