[mapserver-users] Gallery: running mapserver in docker on kubernetes

Peter Schmitt pschmitt at gmail.com
Fri Aug 30 09:15:11 PDT 2019

On Fri, Aug 30, 2019 at 9:48 AM Jan Hartmann <j.l.h.hartmann at uva.nl> wrote:

> Thanks Peter, this is really useful. Do you have any real-world benchmarks
> for MapServer that compare regular file access with vsicurl access, using
> optimized Geotifs? I've seen the tests for GDAL at
> https://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/CloudOptimizedGeoTIFF, but what about
> servering  large map-sets over the web?
>
> I don't have any sort of formal benchmarks... but I can provide anecdotes
from my experiences. Random access to a 256x256 block of extremely large
COGs served from fast SSD would have maybe 100ms response.  The same COG
accessed with /vsicurl/:  First time the tile is requested about 400ms.
GDAL has a least recently used curl cache.  When a tile is cached,
subsequent requests can be served maybe about 100ms. My cloud provider is
AWS... so access from s3 using MapServer running in a Docker container on
an AWS EC2 instance in the us-east-1 region... and the tile is requested
from my local wireless network in Colorado.

When the data is a COG in s3 and MapServer runs near the cloud storage,
performance is quite good. I've scaled only to dozens of users.  Allegedly
s3 can scale to 5,500 requests per second per prefix in s3.
https://docs.aws.amazon.com/AmazonS3/latest/dev/optimizing-performance.html
Presumably
it would scale fairly well by adding more MapServer processes.