[mapserver-users] mapcache: restricted extent and ruleset to limit cache area seems ineffective

Mark Volz MarkVolz at co.lyon.mn.us
Fri Aug 30 12:44:48 PDT 2019

Hello,

I am in the process of limiting the cached area in mapcache.  I am having trouble with both the restricted_extent and ruleset parameters.  I first started by using restricted_extent such as "<grid restricted_extent="435567 98889 568247 259687">LyonCC</grid>".  That parameter seemed to work.  However mapcache returned 404 errors for any tiles outside of the restricted extent.  Next I tried to use rulesets instead.  The rulesets seem to have no effect, and new tiles were getting generated outside of the visibility extent.

Question 1:  When we use restricted extents on a grid should MapCache return a transparent tile, white tile, or a 404 error?  Can we control what it returns?

Question 2:  Do I have my ruleset configured appropriately?

<tileset name="LyonBaseMap">
<grid ruleset="CountyBuffer">LyonCC</grid>
</tileset>

<ruleset name="CountyBuffer">
<rule zoom_level="1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11"><!-Do I need to include zoom levels?-->
<visibility>
<extent>435567 98889 568247 259687</extent>
</visibility>
</rule>
</ruleset>

Thank You!