[mapserver-users] Missing Dynamic Charts

Sarah Zwiep sarah_zwiep at sfu.ca
Wed Apr 14 11:15:47 PDT 2021

Good afternoon,

I'm working on a project that's experiencing some unexpected behavior with a Mapserver dynamic charts layer. Some polygons in the layer will not reliably render charts. For example, at the desired chart size of 30 and zoom level 4, only 7 of the expected 12 charts render. If we increase the zoom level then more of those missing charts will render. Similarly, if we decrease the chart size more charts render. However, we would like all the charts in view to render regardless of zoom level and size, which I believe aligns with the expected behavior of a dynamic charts layer.

We have tried 2 separate vectors files (of Canadian provinces and territories) from statcan<https://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-recensement/alternative_alternatif.cfm?archived=1&l=eng&dispext=zip&teng=gpr_000a11a_e.zip&k=%20%20%20%20%202194&loc=http://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-recensement/2011/geo/bound-limit/files-fichiers/gpr_000a11a_e.zip> and naturalEarth<https://www.naturalearthdata.com/downloads/50m-cultural-vectors/50m-admin-1-states-provinces/> but the problem persists. Neither file has invalid geometries according to OGC standards. The project previously used a vector file of Canadian ecozones and the charts worked fine with that, so the problem only started when we switched the file from ecozones to provinces/territories.

I've listed links the layer definition, as well of screenshots of the project with the missing charts at different sizes/zooms (No chart on Nunavut is expected). The project is using MapServer 7.4.4 in Centos 7.9 and configures the project mapfile as a WMS server for a Leaflet 1.4.0 WMS layer.

Any guidance is much appreciated.

Best regards,
Sarah

<https://pasteboard.co/JXk71sR.png>https://pasteboard.co/JXkbqTz.png