[mapserver-users] Mapserver installation in cloud environments (kubernetes)

Rahkonen Jukka (MML) jukka.rahkonen at maanmittauslaitos.fi
Wed Apr 28 08:36:18 PDT 2021

Hi,

Have you tried to find an explanation for the difference between Spatialite and geopackage? They are both SQLite databases and there is not much difference in how they store the geometries into BLOBs. Does direct SQL “select * from table” give similar results?

I have not experienced such difference with Mapserver. In some not so scientific tests with 1.2 million polygons I found that shapefile was the fastest and Spatialite/Geopackage were slightly slower, but still faster than PostGIS with plain small bbox queries. The advantage of shapefile was lost when attribute filters were needed for more than one attribute. Comparison was made between a sorted shapefile and database tables with appropriate indexes. The BBOX queries returned typically about 10-50 polygons with simple geometries – agricultural parcels.

-Jukka Rahkonen-