[MapServer-users] Shapefile of Points

Jörg Thomsen (WhereGroup) joerg.thomsen at wheregroup.com
Thu Dec 21 05:26:17 PST 2023

Hi,

here are a lot of examples for symbol-definitions and using them in the
mapfile: https://mapserver.org/mapfile/symbology/construction.html

> I intend to create 32 point symbols by varying the color,

you'll need only one symbol-definition. assign the color in the mapfiles
style-section.

> I have a suspicion that I should use mapscript to assign the symbols to
> each data range from php, for example, if the range is between 0-1.99,
> strong red symbol, 2.00-3.99 light red symbol...

this is done bei the EXPRESSION within the class-section
see https://mapserver.org/mapfile/class.html

> I'm doing this in qgis, and each shapefile has a different set of data
> in range, this makes me think that I should calculate the quantiles from
> the shapefile data and then assign the color symbols using php and
> mapscript to create the .map file

you can do the classification in qgis and use the extension 'GeoCat
Bridge' to create the layer-sections of your mapfile.

--
Viele Grüße,
Jörg Thomsen

**********************************