[MapServer-users] MSSQL plugin path outside of the global CONFIG file

Jörg Thomsen (WhereGroup) joerg.thomsen at wheregroup.com
Mon Mar 20 07:13:32 PDT 2023

Hello Benedek,

 > Is it mandatory now, to define the PLUGIN path from the global CONFIG
file?

short answer: yes it's mandatory and it's a security issue.

the documentation is very explizit
(see https://mapserver.org/mapfile/layer.html):

> For MapServer >=8:
defining plugins for dataconnections in the config-gile
> For MapServer <8:
defining plugins for dataconnections in the mapfile

further in https://mapserver.org/mapfile/config.html :
> This block allows for keys to be mapped to plugin library paths.
 > For example the MS SQL Plugin.
 > **This registry of plugins avoids possible unsafe libraries being
 >  loaded by a mapfile.**

Regards, Jörg

Am 20.03.23 um 14:51 schrieb Benedek Petrovicz:
> Hi!
>
> Before MapServer 8, I always defined the mssql plugin path in the
> mapfiles directly.
> It was a convenient way for my use case.
>
> Now from MapServer 8 there's the required global CONFIG file I have to
> define.
> Which is fine, but MapServer will only allow loading the plugin through
> that global CONFIG file.
>
> The CONFIG reference states the following:
>
>     /"PLUGINS: This block allows for keys to be mapped to plugin library
>     paths."/
>
> For me, this means I can define a global plugin keyword if I want to,
> but I don't have to.
> In reality I don't have other options. At least I don't know about any.
>
> Is it mandatory now, to define the PLUGIN path from the global CONFIG file?
>
> Thank you!
> Benedek Petrovicz

Viele Grüße,
Jörg Thomsen