[MapServer-users] Is it possible to make a symbol of symbols?

Trygve Aspenes trygve at aspenes.priv.no
Tue Nov 14 01:27:05 PST 2023

Hi

Is it possible to make a symbol of symbols?

My use case is wind barbs. I use lines for barbs up to 45kn, but at 50kn
and above the 50kn flag is a filled triangle.

I try a symbol like this:
   SYMBOL
     NAME "wind_barb_50"
     TYPE VECTOR
     FILLED TRUE
     POINTS
       26 8.2
       2 8.2
       4.4 0
       6.8 8.2
       26 8.2
     END
   END

But here the line of the wind barb is not display.
An example here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1maC2OqTwWG5H5WtCqbIAxPOmZoQ5Agkt/view?usp=sharing
( for reference a 40kn wind barb is also plotted)
The line of the wind barb can be displayed if I set outlinecolor ( to
the same color as the color), but then the line is a bit thicker than
the wind bards with no 50kn flag. Example of both here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aAKLg7fVVxB0hCbI4GRxLHI6Z_44MDml/view?usp=sharing

Example how it should look https://www.weather.gov/hfo/windbarbinfo

I have looked at various variation using a line symbol and a flag symbol
using both in the layer. But then I get problems when I rotate the
symbols. I also have looked at using offset and anchorpoint for the flag
relative to the line. But I can't get it right.

So then my idea of have a line symbol and a flag symbol and then join
them together in a new combined symbol before putting it in a layer.

Any ideas or sections of the manual I have missed?

Trygve Aspenes